Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Religion Wars - part one

So I've realized I'm basically as religious as a piece of burnt toast. It's not that I don't want to or I don't see myself being a more spiritual person, it's just that I have sort of left that part of me behind while further developing other characteristics and traits. Seeing as I have nothing better to do these days I think it is time I pick a set of beliefs or see which one matches my own and stick with it a while and see how it goes.

So first off, what exactly is a religion -

"A religion is a set of beliefs and practices, often centered upon specific supernatural and moral claims about reality, the cosmos, and human nature, and often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law." - Wikipedia (i.e. my current religion)

So thats what a religion is. So in order to compare different religions to each other I am going to set aside some categories based on what a religion is.

Categories are as follows

  1. Beliefs - What do they belief in? Is it sweet, lame, stupid etc.
  2. Religious Law - The rules, they decent and fair or just foolish
  3. Practices/ Traditions - What does this religion do once your in it
  4. The Cosmos/ Claims- views on the universe and how it began
  5. Mythology -the nuts stuff
Pretty basic, your stand 5 gauge comparison. Lets take a look at who we have competing for the title of "Best Religion".

  • Judaism
  • Buddhism
  • Hinduism
  • Christianity
Looks like its going to be a good fight with 25% odds for each religion going into this one.
Stay tuned as we begin round 1 for the title of Best Religion.

-brett
the fat flamingo

No comments: